Ah the Aviation! Truly a great drink from the golden era of cocktails. Not only that, but it is notably the only cocktail our founder Will Edwards can make. There are two varieties of this drink - a fight steeped in history - which often means no one is sure who is right. Unfortunately, the oldest published recipe included the Creme de Violette. So let’s go with that then. If, like me, you’re not a fan of the floral in cocktails, you can omit and boost a little more maraschino and if you feel like it, a touch of sugar.
- 60 ml Archie Rose Distiller’s Strength Gin
- 10 maraschino liqueur (preferably Luxardo)
- 20 ml lemon juice
- 2.5 ml ounce crème de violette (or 1/4 ounce simple syrup)
- Garnish: brandied cherry
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.